Senior full-stack developer
Datawrapper’s mission is to help the world create better visualizations. We provide an easy-to-use, free online tool to create charts, maps, and tables. It’s used by thousands of people every day, among them brands like The New York Times and The Washington Post. We strive to make best-practice data visualization available to everybody.
To help us achieve this mission, we’re hiring a senior full-stack developer (4-5 days per week).
You can join remotely (in the time zones around Berlin, so GMT, CET, or EET) or get a desk in our Berlin office. The compensation for this role will be between 65,000 and 90,000€ per year, including 30 days of paid vacation and benefits. You can choose between regular full-time employment (5d/week), or a 4-day workweek on 80% salary.
As a senior full-stack developer, you’ll be working on all technical parts of the product, maintaining and building out the infrastructure powering our web app, and creating new features. We’re looking for someone with an end-to-end mindset who’ll work on projects from initial ideation to deployment. You’ll touch many different aspects of our codebase and will be able to have wide-ranging impact on our product, users, and customers.
We’re looking for someone who…
- helps us design, develop, and deploy robust and scalable solutions for our web application
- ensures high-quality, maintainable code through best practices such as automated testing and continuous integration.
- loves to dig deep and solve abstract and complex problems with architecturally sound solutions.
- balances quality of code and speed of iteration
- takes initiative and isn’t afraid to question the status quo, while remaining mindful of priorities and other constraints
- is comfortable with quickly picking up and implementing new tools and languages
- is motivated by improving the developer experience, both for themselves and others
- cares deeply about the quality of their work and is passionate about building great software
You are a good fit if you…
- are proficient with both relational (e.g., MySQL) and non-relational databases (e.g., Redis).
- are interested in infrastructure and systems work, ideally coupled with practical experience with AWS and Docker.
It’s helpful, but not required, to bring experience with reactive frontend development using Svelte & SvelteKit (or a similar framework). Prior knowledge and experience with data visualization or cartography is a plus.
Who uses Datawrapper?
Visualizations created with Datawrapper reach over 200 million unique visitors every month and get viewed billions of times. Our chart editor is used by tens of thousands of users — writers, statisticians, data scientists, public servants, financial analysts, and many more. But our most prominent and visible customers are newsrooms. Datawrapper is used by data visualization teams at organizations like The New York Times, The Washington Post, Reuters, FiveThirtyEight, and many more.
We build and support Datawrapper with a team of 26 people, which gives everyone a critical and important role in shaping the future of our company.
What to expect from working at Datawrapper
A happy work life! Datawrapper team members appreciate a shared feeling of doing meaningful work, a high degree of freedom, their helpful coworkers, and a nice work environment.
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including:
- salary between 65,000 and 90,000 euros per year, on a full-time employment contract
- 30 days of paid vacation
- annual 2,000 euro education budget
- the latest and greatest hardware of your choice.
- Growth, development, and personal initiative. We’re a small startup, which means there are lots of opportunities to grow and learn. If you’ve got an idea and the drive to make it happen, we welcome it.
- Few meetings. We try to keep meetings infrequent and short. Instead, we believe in written discussions, good meeting preparation, and short 1:1 check-ins.
Application & interview process
We don’t believe in whiteboard coding or leetcode challenges. The application process will consist of 1-2 non-technical interviews with our tech leads, a paid one-day take-home assignment, and a cultural fit interview with the wider development team.
We care deeply about finding the right people to join our team and company, but also strive to be respectful of your time and attention.
How to apply
Does all of this sound like something you’d like to do? Great! Send along your CV and tell us about your previous experience and how you think it makes you a good fit for this role.
→ Send it all to email@example.com with the subject line “Senior Full-Stack Developer”
We hope you apply, especially if you’re from a group that’s underrepresented in our office.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
– Marten and the Datawrapper team