Customer Success & Support Specialist
We at Datawrapper want to help everyone create better charts, maps, and tables. To achieve this, we offer a data visualization tool that individuals and organizations all over the world rely on to quickly and easily create beautiful visualizations for their online and printed publications.
We put a lot into making Datawrapper as easy to learn and use as possible, but the software itself is just the start. Equally important are the human interactions with our users, right in those moments when they’re stuck, need help or inspiration, or don’t even know where to start.
We care deeply about our users and their problems, and getting them the help they need. In time, and beyond their expectations. That level of personalized support is something we won’t compromise on, even as our user base grows and the number of requests increases. Which is why:
We’re looking for someone to join our Customer Support and Success team, 4–5 days a week.
You can join remotely (in the time zones around Berlin, so GMT, CET, or EET) or get a desk in our Berlin office.
What is Datawrapper?
Datawrapper’s tool enables people worldwide to build great charts, maps, and tables. We’re used by:
- Print and online news publications like The New York Times, Quartz, SPIEGEL, and The Times,
- News agencies like Reuters and The Associated Press,
- Governmental institutions and NGOs like the United Nations, the European Commission, and the World Economic Forum,
- Think tanks like KFF, CFR, and ECFR,
- Financial institutions like Fitch Ratings and Moody’s,
- Cities and municipalities like Madrid, London, and New York City,
- And many more, including statistical offices, market research firms, and design agencies.
We’re a team of 23 people, mostly developers and designers. Many of us have a background in journalism — and all of us are excited about visualizing data.
You’ll join Elana, Aya, Margaux, and Shaylee in helping those that reach out to our support inbox, maintaining and growing customer relationships, and being proactive in getting new customers off the ground. Essentially, you’ll do whatever needs to be done to make sure that all of our users have the help they need to get as much out of the tool as possible.
You can expect that to include:
- Managing customer relationships. You’ll pick up where sales leaves off, taking our customers under your wing and ensuring they have all the resources and assistance they need to be successful. You’ll become their trusted go-to expert whenever they need a helping hand.
- Onboarding webinars. Our paid plans include an onboarding training session. You’ll handle these, walking new customers through the tool via video call, to help them get off to a great start with Datawrapper.
- Helping users to create great data vis. When they come to us asking Is it possible to do x with Datawrapper?, you’ll find a solution, even when that means having to get creative to solve a problem with no clear answer.
- Troubleshooting. Why isn’t this chart displaying? It could be a problem with the dataset, something gone amiss in the settings, or a bug in our code. You’ll need to investigate, identify, and find a solution.
- Proactively helping our users get more out of the tool. You’ll direct them to possibilities and features that they could benefit from, but might not come across on their own.
- Being the voice of our users and helping us improve the tool. You’ll organize feature requests and feedback, bringing them back to the product team in a way that’s powerful and useful in informing product decisions.
- Improving and contributing to our help docs, to help our users better help themselves.
Who are we looking for?
This is an exciting and varied role perfect for an all-rounder with a multidisciplinary skill set who’s up for solving fun new problems every day. That being the case, we are open to any professional background and particular expertise you bring along.
We think you’d be a great fit if:
- You enjoy, care about, and are motivated by helping people and solving their problems, which you do with warmth, kindness, and empathy. You can put yourself in someone else’s shoes to understand what they need, even if they’re not quite sure themselves.
- You have strong English written and verbal communication skills (bonus points for German too). That’s important not only for the interactions with our users, but also for bringing ideas and feedback back to the team.
- You are good at explaining complicated concepts in a simple, digestible way. You’re used to communicating with a range of different stakeholders and adapting your choice of language and approach depending on who it is you’re talking to.
- You love solving problems and are a lateral thinker; it’s easy for you to see things in their wider context and connect the dots. You have the confidence to try and figure something out on your own, but also know the right moment to ask for help, and enjoy working with others to find solutions.
- You have a can-do attitude and are a quick learner. You’re not intimidated when faced with something unfamiliar, but instead curious and eager to figure it out.
- You’re organized and have good time-management skills. You can juggle simultaneous to-dos and adapt in the face of shifting priorities.
- You’re thorough, attentive to detail, and on the ball. You’ll remember that one time the same issue came up in another context several months ago.
Bonus points if any of these apply to you:
- You previously worked in a customer-facing role at a software company.
- You have experience working with any of the types of organizations that Datawrapper serves.
- You previously worked with Datawrapper, in data visualization or an adjacent field.
- You also speak languages other than English and German.
What to expect from working at Datawrapper
A happy work life! Datawrapper team members appreciate a shared feeling of doing meaningful work, a high degree of freedom, their helpful coworkers, and a nice work environment.
What we believe in
- Growth, development, and personal initiative. We’re a small startup with big plans, which means there are lots of opportunities to grow and learn. If you’ve got an idea and the drive to make it happen, we welcome it.
- People do a great job when they’re excited about something. Our support team lead grew into contributing to product development; another member of the support team took over our social media presence (e.g. Twitter); our CTO writes blog posts. We let people work on things they’re motivated to work on.
- Flexibility. Some of us start at 7 AM, others won’t be seen until 11, and some might disappear for two hours in the mid-afternoon to go for a walk. We’re happy for you to organize your day however suits you best.
- A kind and collaborative work environment. You’ll be in touch with everyone from the team, and get a chance to make your voice heard. In the support team, we work together closely and help each other out with whatever challenges come our way.
What you’ll get from us and this role
- The chance to collaborate with some of the world’s most prestigious and trusted institutions, empowering them to inform the public with great data vis, at a time when it has never been so important.
- To contribute to shaping the future of how we interact with our users. We have lots of ideas, and we’re interested in yours too.
- To have real influence on the future of our product.
- To represent the company and become the person people think of when they think of Datawrapper.
- To become a true Datawrapper expert, both externally and internally.
- A competitive salary and 30 days of vacation (24 days for a four-day week).
- A 2000 euro yearly education budget to visit conferences, get training, or buy books and online seminars that make you smarter (1600 euros for a four-day week).
- A laptop of your choice and a big external monitor.
- If you join us in our Berlin office: unlimited coffee, tea, and any snacks you like. Plus, a big data vis library.
- Super nice, talented coworkers.
In addition, you’ll learn to work with data and how to create good visualizations. You’ll also get many insights into the world of product development and explore the life at, and culture of, a friendly young software company.
How to apply
Does all of this sound like something you’d like to do? Great! We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
Send along your CV and tell us about your previous experience and how you think it makes you a good fit for this role.
We also decided to include one small task, which should give you a taste of the kind of problems you might find yourself solving.
We understand if you’re opposed to, or don’t have the capacity for, speculative work for applications, so we will accept applications without this task. But we would love it if you gave it a go, and it’ll be a great opportunity for you to show us how you work.
Task: Help Emily
Emily is a fictional journalist from a big fictional newspaper in the U.K. She’s new to Datawrapper and reached out to our support inbox.
I’m working on a bar chart and I’m a bit stuck, can you tell me if I’m able to change the colour of each bar to match the colour of the corresponding party in this chart?
Thanks for any help,
Here’s what she has so far:
Write Emily a reply and help her out as best you can.
If you hover over the chart above, an Edit this Chart button should pop up. Click on it to create your own copy, which you can edit.
We want to see your reply to Emily and a link to your version of the chart, in which you’ve implemented your suggestion.
→ Send it all to firstname.lastname@example.org, and use the subject line “Customer Success & Support Specialist”
We hope you apply, especially if you’re from a group that’s underrepresented in our office.
We’re excited to hear from you!
Elana and the Datawrapper Team