Product Specialist & Evangelist
Edit: Thanks for your interest in this role! We’ve already closed applications for this job. Check out our careers page to see other open positions we’re filling right now.
We at Datawrapper want to help everyone create better charts, maps, and tables. To achieve this, we offer a data visualization tool that individuals and organizations all over the world rely on to quickly and easily create beautiful visualizations for their online and printed publications.
Datawrapper serves not only as a tool, but as a teacher. Whether through the software itself, our help documentation, our blog, or trainings — at Datawrapper we take any opportunity to teach our users how to produce better, more beautiful, more truthful data visualization.
Just as much as building the software, improving and expanding our education and outreach lies at the heart of our goal of helping the world create better data visualization. They pave the path to the product’s future, and bring these valuable skills to ever-more people. Which is why:
We’re looking for a Product Specialist & Evangelist to join our Customer Support & Success Team, 4-5 days a week.
You can join remotely (in the time zones around Berlin, so GMT, CET, or EET) or get a desk in our Berlin office.
What you’ll be doing
You’ll join our customer support & success team and work together with Elana, Eddie, Aya, and Margaux to educate, help, and advise our users and customers via webinars, trainings, and public resources. This is an exciting role that will play a vital part in Datawrapper’s outward communication, the success of our users, and the quality of their output.
The role will include:
- Onboarding and followup trainings for customers. Datawrapper is easy to learn and use, but a bit of training goes a long way. You’ll be conducting short training sessions with our customers to help them start out with the tool and level-up their skills.
- Public webinars. Using the insights you gain from customer trainings, and with the shared knowledge of the team, you’ll design and execute a series of public webinars, so that anyone and everyone can hop on and get a taste for what Datawrapper has to offer.
- Creating training materials to help our users better help themselves. That can include contributing to our help docs, self-service training materials, and video tutorials.
- Advising our users directly via email and chat. While this won’t be a large part of the role, sometimes help is best provided asynchronously. This is also a great way to get to know the tool better, as well as to get a feel for potential focus areas for trainings.
- Seeking out opportunities to promote Datawrapper. We’d love for you to get involved in conferences, give webinars at data vis–focused events, and generally find opportunities to spread the word.
- Helping us improve the tool by bringing feedback and insights from your interactions with our users back to the product team.
Who are we looking for?
This is a role for a bright, upbeat, self-directed, and enthusiastic person who’s excited to learn, teach, and grow with our team and take ownership of Datawrapper’s outward voice.
We think you’ll be a great fit if:
- You’re a confident communicator and love helping, advising, and teaching, which you do with warmth, kindness, and empathy.
- You have a can-do attitude and are a quick learner. We don’t expect you to be a Datawrapper whiz already — we’re certain that an eagerness to learn (and a helping hand from your coworkers) will be all you need to get up and running. But there will be plenty to learn, so you should be keen to dig in!
- You’re good at explaining complicated concepts in a simple, digestible, and understandable way. You’re used to communicating with a range of different stakeholders and adapting your choice of language and approach depending on who you’re talking to.
- You’re comfortable wrangling data and know your way around Excel and Google Sheets.
- You’re into data visualization. That doesn’t mean you need to be a pro, but it’s definitely something you understand and are excited about.
- You’re self directed and well organized. You won’t have trouble balancing incoming requests with proactive outreach work and getting new projects and ideas off the ground.
- You’ve previously worked in a customer-facing role at a software company, a role that involved teaching/training in some form, or have other relevant experience.
Bonus points if…
- You’re familiar with, or have dabbled in, R and/or Python. It would be awesome if you were able to eventually integrate these tools into more advanced trainings.
- You’re not a complete stranger to HTML and CSS.
- You have experience working with any of the types of organizations that Datawrapper serves.
- You’ve previously worked with Datawrapper, in data visualization, or in an adjacent field
- You also speak languages other than English
What to expect from working at Datawrapper
A happy work life! Datawrapper team members appreciate a shared feeling of doing meaningful work, a high degree of freedom, their helpful coworkers, and a nice work environment.
What we believe in
- Growth, development, and personal initiative. We’re a small startup with big plans, which means there are lots of opportunities to grow and learn. If you’ve got an idea and the drive to make it happen, we welcome it.
- People do a great job when they’re excited about something. Our support & success team lead grew into contributing to product development; another member of the CS team took over our social media presence (e.g. Twitter); our CTO writes blog posts. We let people work on things they’re motivated to work on.
- Flexibility. Some of us start at 7 AM, others won’t be seen until 11, and some might disappear for two hours in the mid-afternoon to go for a walk. We’re happy for you to organize your day however suits you best.
- A kind and collaborative work environment. You’ll be in touch with everyone from the team and get a chance to make your voice heard. In the customer support & success team, we work together closely and help each other out with whatever challenges come our way.
What you’ll get from us and this role
- The chance to work with some of the world’s most prestigious and trusted institutions, empowering them to inform the public with great data visualization, at a time when it has never been so important.
- To play a key role in shaping the future of how we educate our users. We have lots of ideas, and we can’t wait to hear yours.
- Lots of creative freedom, with the chance to explore, iterate, and improve based on your own learning and intuition.
- To represent the company and become the person people think of when they think of Datawrapper.
- To become a true Datawrapper expert, both externally and internally.
- To have real influence on the future of our product.
- A competitive salary and 30 days of vacation (24 days for a four-day week).
- A 2000 euro yearly education budget to visit conferences, get training, or buy books and online seminars that make you smarter (1600 euros for a four-day week).
- A laptop of your choice and a big external monitor.
- If you join us in our Berlin office: unlimited coffee, tea, and any snacks you like. Plus, a big data vis library.
- Super nice, talented coworkers.
In addition, you’ll learn to work with data and how to create good visualizations. You’ll also get many insights into the world of product development and explore the life at, and culture of, a friendly young software company.
What is Datawrapper?
Datawrapper’s tool enables people worldwide to build great charts, maps, and tables. We’re used by:
- Print and online news publications like The New York Times, Quartz, SPIEGEL, and The Times,
- News agencies like Reuters and The Associated Press,
- Governmental institutions and NGOs like the United Nations, the European Commission, and the World Economic Forum,
- Think tanks like KFF, CFR, and ECFR,
- Financial institutions like Fitch Ratings and Moody’s,
- Cities and municipalities like Madrid, London, and New York City,
- And many more, including statistical offices, market research firms, and design agencies.
How to apply
Does all of this sound like something you’d like to do? Great! We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
Send along your CV and tell us about yourself, your previous experience, and how you think it makes you a good fit for this role.
→ Send it all to firstname.lastname@example.org, and use the subject line “Product Specialist & Evangelist”
We hope you apply, especially if you’re from a group that’s underrepresented in our office.
We’re excited to hear from you!
Elana and the Datawrapper team